Microsoft’s Yammer & SharePoint Roadmap
“In my customer meetings over the last few months, people have often asked, “What should I use for social? Yammer or the SharePoint newsfeed?” My answer has been clear: Go Yammer! Yammer is our big bet for enterprise social, and we’re committed to making it the underlying social layer for all of our products. It will power the social experiences in SharePoint, Office 365, Dynamics, and more. Yammer’s unique adoption model appeals directly to end users and makes it easy to start enjoying the benefits of social immediately. And because it’s an online service, Yammer gives us the ability to innovate rapidly-updating the service quickly as the market evolves. So whether you’re an Office 365 customer or running SharePoint on-premises, Yammer will provide the latest innovations and best user experience.”
Some key points:
- Mid-2013, Office 365 customers will be able to replace the SharePoint newsfeed with Yammer. Later in the year, Single Sign-On (SSO) and seamless navigation will be introduced – see the mockup below.
- Once we get into 2014, we should expect enhancements to Yammer and Office 365 integration every 90 days.
- Obviously, if you are unable or unwilling to use the cloud then Microsoft recommend the SharePoint newsfeed.
Mockup of Yammer and SharePoint integration.
- What do you think of this roadmap – has this provided the clarity you are looking for?
- Do you have your own roadmap for Yammer and SharePoint inside your organisation?